Important Catholic Scientists of the Past
About these biographies
In preparing this curated set of biographies, we have striven to satisfy five criteria:
- to include only scientists for whom we have found clear and reliable evidence that they were
believing and practicing Catholics.
- to include only scientists who made important contributions or breakthroughs;
- to explain in a broadly accessible and scientifically accurate way what makes each of these
scientists important in the history of science, and where possible give some biographical details
that reflect their faith;
- to make the biographies brief, readable, and concise (they average about 300 words);
- to make the biographies historically accurate and balanced.
It is our hope that these biographies will be useful to teachers, students, and the general public.
--- Stephen M. Barr and Andrew Kassebaum
Some useful resources for further study
Further information about these scientists can be found in many reference works. Some useful